City of Middleton Ordinance 7.06 BICYCLES
- Purpose. The purpose of bicycle registration is to assist with tracking and recovery of missing bicycles.
- Registration of Bicycles. No person shall operate or knowingly permit the operation of a bicycle upon any street within the City unless such bicycle shall have been properly registered.
- Registration Form. Every owner or operator of any bicycle within the City shall, within ten (10) days of the acquisition of such bicycle file with the Chief of Police a complete description of such bicycle, upon an online form located on the police department website. Such filing shall constitute a registration of such bicycle for the purposes of this section. Such registration shall be serially numbered and kept on file by the Chief of Police. Registration shall not be required under this section if the bicycle is registered in another municipality. The City of Middleton bicycle registration system is for the use of Middleton residents only. Registration in the City of Middleton by non-residents is prohibited.
- Cancellation of Registration. The Chief of Police may cancel the registration from any bicycle being operated upon any street in the City in an unsafe manner, or in violation of any state law or local ordinance; and such cancellation of registration shall be in addition to other penalties provided in this Code.
- Change of Ownership. Within ten (10) days after any bicycle registered hereunder shall have changed ownership, or been dismantled and taken out of operation, such information shall be reported to the Chief of Police by the person in whose name the bicycle has been registered.
- Penalty. Any person, firm, or corporation who violates any provision of this section shall be subject to a penalty as prescribed by section 30.04 of this Code.