Middleton Notice of Public Hearing - Request for Variances from Middleton Sign Ordinance
Tax Parcel #255/0708-023-4537-2
Adams Outdoor Advertising requests variances from the City of Middleton Sign Ordinance to construct a 35 ft. high, two-sided, pole-mounted, digital sign measuring 14’ x 48’ on the parcel identified above. The sign would be used to display information pertaining to other premises. The subject property is zoned Planned Development District – General Implementation Plan (PDD-GIP) and is governed by the GIP pertaining to the original Bruce Company property. This GIP states that “signs shall be permitted in compliance with Chapter 22, City of Middleton Sign Code.” The proposed sign does not comply with the following provisions of the sign ordinance:
(Vacant lot along Nursery Drive, north of Spectrum)
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, at 7:15 p.m.
City of Middleton Plan Commission
Virtual Meeting via https://zoom.us/
(instructions below)Meeting ID: 916 9137 2390 and Password: 266309
During the hearing, all interested persons will have an opportunity to speak or register their opinion. Statements may also be provided to City staff by 4:30 p.m. on the day of the hearing. The Plan Commission may take action following the hearing. To monitor or participate in the meeting, use the Zoom app or go to https://zoom.us/, then enter the Meeting ID and Password (see above). To participate by phone, call (312) 626-6799 and enter the Meeting ID. Anyone who would like phone access other than by the listed long-distance (Chicago) telephone number should contact city staff prior to the meeting. For additional information, or to provide a statement prior to the hearing, contact: Mark OpitzCity Planner & Zoning Administratormopitz@cityofmiddleton.us (608) 821-83947426 Hubbard Ave., Middleton, WI 53562
- Section 22.08(2)(c) states that any permanent ground sign shall be erected as a monument sign. Pole signs are prohibited unless the pole portion of the sign is enclosed in a shroud that causes the sign to appear to have a monolithic base or support structure of any material measuring no less than one-third the greatest width of the sign.
- Section 22.08(2)(b) limits sign dimensions to a height of 12 ft. and an area of 80 sq.ft.
- Section 22.08(2)(e) states that a ground sign shall be mounted on a base not to exceed four feet in height.
- Section 22.08(4)(b)(1) states that the areas of electronic variable messages signs capable of displaying copy shall not exceed forty (40) sq.ft. and shall be included within the maximum aggregate sign surface area allowed for the type and location of sign upon which the changeable copy is displayed.
- Section 22.08(4)(b)(3) states that all copy, characters or other changeable images shall be one (1) color only, with light copy on a dark background.
- Section 22.12(2) prohibits off-premise signs except as expressly permitted elsewhere in the sign code. The sign code contains no provisions allowing for permanent off-premise signage.