Dane County COVID-19 Emergency and Recovery Fund Announcement
As Dane County faces one of the biggest public health crises in its history -- businesses reducing workforce or closing leaving some without incomes, school closings leaving parents searching for childcare, food and housing services bracing for new complexities in their work, and health care workers preparing for a spike in patients -- leaders in our community are taking action.
Today United Way of Dane County, Boys & Girls Club of Dane County, Selfless Ambition and other area organizations announced a collaborative effort to provide financial relief for those hit hardest by the health and economic impacts of the coronavirus outbreak. Community members and businesses have already raised more than $885,500 for the Dane County COVID-19 Emergency and Recovery Fund.
Funds will be split into two approaches:
1. Short-term emergency, focused on individual and families’ immediate needs. This fund is operated by Boys & Girls Club and Selfless Ambition and fundraising closes on March 20. Grant decisions will be made by May 15 and will be directed to:
• Medical supplies for those impacted by this virus
• Meals for kids due to school closures
• Local shelters as they assist families and individuals
• College students in need of temporary housing and meals
• Senior citizens in need of meals, transportation and medical assistance
• Hardship funding for nonprofits for individuals and families
2. Long-term response and recovery, focused on providing resources to nonprofits, individuals and families. This fund is operated by United Way of Dane County and will remain open for the foreseeable future. This fund is focused on:
• Food/meals for older adults and children
• Eviction prevention
• Homelessness prevention
• Flex fund (flexible dollars to respond to other crises that individuals, families or nonprofits experience)
Long-term recovery needs will continue to be assessed as more data about the impact of the crisis become available. No administrative costs are being charged for either fund. An independent group of community, business and grassroots leaders will determine disbursements. More information can be found here.
We are grateful for the support of the hundreds of donors and businesses who have contributed to the fund so far. Lead gifts to the combined effort include the following:
• $100,000 – Dan and Patti Rashke TASC Family Foundation
• $100,000 – Madison Gas & Electric Foundation
• $100,000 – UW Credit Union
• $75,000 – Ascendium Education Group
• $50,000 – Kevin and Shelia Conroy
• $50,000 – Bob and Anne Trunzo
• $50,000 – Jim and Jessica Yehle
• $50,000 – John and Jo Ellen McKenzie
• $50,000 – American Family Insurance
• $50,000 – UW Health, UnityPoint Health – Meriter and Quartz
• $50,000 – Madison Teachers Inc.
• $42,500 – Alliant Energy
• $30,000 – Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin, SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – Madison, UnityPoint Health – Meriter and UW Health
• $25,000 – GE Healthcare
• $25,000 – Meicher Family Foundation
• $38,000 – from individuals and families in gifts of all sizes
United Way of Dane County is also actively recruiting volunteers to assist in COVID-19-related efforts. At Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway’s request, we are working to connect any healthy person willing to help agencies with volunteer power and material donations, for example volunteer matching EPIC employees with Meals on Wheels or TASC employees donating masks to Porchlight. Volunteerism priorities are:
• Food delivery
• Childcare for emergency care workers
• Temporary housing and food pantry staffing support
• Temporary housing and food pantry donations
Help now with safe volunteer opportunities and material donation needs specific to COVID-19 relief at www.volunteeryourtime.org.
We are committed to the care of our community and each other, and we always emerge stronger than before. Together, we are The Power of Many. Working for All.
To make a gift to the Dane County COVID-19 Emergency and Recovery Fund, visit www.unitedwaydanecounty.org/help4covid or text “help4covid” to 40403.
P.S. Please forward to colleagues, friends, neighbors or groups who may be interested in helping with local COVID-19 response!
Copyright © 2019 City of Middleton. All Rights Reserved.
7426 Hubbard Ave, Middleton, WI 53562Unsubscribe