SPRING CURBSIDE LEAF COLLECTION
Unscheduled curbside leaf collection will begin on April 4th , weather permitting. and will continue throughout the month. Leaves need to be out no later than April 25th.
Your cooperation in making leaf collection efficient is both needed and appreciated. Please follow these Leaf Collection Rules:
- Pile leaves on grass areas along the curb, but not in the street or gutter.
- Do not pile leaves around trees, posts, hydrants, mailboxes, rocks, firewood, or brush.
- Leaves in bags or containers WILL NOT be collected.
- Leaves mixed with brush WILL NOT be collected.
- Do not park vehicles in front of leaf piles.
Collection on private property is prohibited unless a Release of Liability Agreement is signed and on file with the Department of Public Works.
Fall leaf collection will begin in October and continue through November, weather permitting.
ALTERNATIVES TO CURBSIDE COLLECTION
While it is the goal of the City to collect all leaves placed curbside, that may not be possible due to other priority work, weather conditions, volume of leaves, available staff and equipment breakdowns. Leaves that cannot be collected may remain on the terrace for collection in the fall. Other options available to residents include:
- Mulch leaves directly onto the lawn. Leaves mulched with a lawn mower will typically decompose before spring, fertilize the grass, suppress weeds, and moderate soil temperatures.
- Place on vegetable and flower gardens and around trees and shrubs. Leaves (mulched or not) placed as a ground cover will conserve moisture, enrich the soil nutrients, and help suppress weeds.
- Compost leaves with grass clippings and other organic waste. Add the resulting compost to gardens and low spots in lawns.
- Drop off at MRD compost site. City residents may drop off grass clippings, leaves, plants, brush, branches, limbs (up to 4” in diameter), wood chips, sawdust, holiday trees, stumps (clean) and clean wood (not painted or treated) at the MRD compost site, 5211 CTH Q, seasonally from April 1 through November 30.